Saturday, March 6, 2010

Wade Davis about cultural heritage and the state of our world

I just watched a video of Wade Davis speaking about world cultures, and I am speechless. It was amazing. It makes me want to travel to remote areas with my son, and soak up the rich, perfect, real, natural experience.

For example, I loved that, in the indigenous culture he speaks of, every year in the festival of manhood, the young man who ran fastest was bequeathed with the honor of being a woman "a wailaka" for the day, and was allowed to wear women's clothing. And then led the men on a grueling run up and down the 20 thousand feet of mountainous terrain.

And I really love Wade Davis' final comment on his piece, that it is hopeful, that we are agents of cultural destruction. Because as such, we can also be facilitators of cultural survival.

You have to watch this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8zWH3T5RCA

Riviera PlaySchool in Redondo Beach, CA
TEACHING FROM BALANCE
A Mindful program for the 'Whole Child,' inspired by the best of Attachment Parenting, Bev Bos, Montessori, Waldorf and Non-Violent Communication.

www.RivieraPlaySchool.com

No comments:

Post a Comment